Student Scholar: October 25

Rachel Decker
The Paw Print

Life for Jennifer George, a sophomore at Adams State University, has been nothing but hard work since the beginning of the school year, but she has not given up yet.
George, a sociology major, traveled all the way from New England to attend school here and make the most of her life, and so far, it is a successful effort.
One of the biggest accomplishments in George’s life so far has been traveling to Colorado for college.
She says that many of the people in her state end up staying at home and attending the college nearby, but she chose a different path.
“I crossed the country to start my own life, and I’m not looking back just yet,” George says.
“I’m really proud of myself for making it out here. Not a lot of 18-year-olds are successful so far away from home so early, and even though it hasn’t been easy, I’m making it work.”
Here at Adams, George is involved in numerous activities around campus. She is a resident assistant, and is one of the founding members of the Paranormal Discovery Club.
“I really love this club,” George says. “I helped start it last year with a couple of friends, and it’s really taking off this year. I’m really busy and it’s hard to help out sometimes, but I love being in it and seeing what we’re becoming.”
As well, George also regularly attends Poker Club, and she is looking in to starting another club called the Pencils of Promise Club.
The Pencils of Promise Club is an organization that is meant to help less fortunate children receive educations.
There are many around the country, and George hopes to begin one here so the students at Adams can have a chance to help.
“Helping people is what I do,” she says. “And if I could start this club here, and be able to reach out on a level like that, it would just be amazing.”
Once George graduates, she hopes to be able to travel as far as she can.
One of her hopes is to join the Peace Corps, and eventually she aspires to obtain a job that will let her help others.
“I’d like to join an animal rescue league or a non profit organization. There are so many ways to help people and animals, and I’m going to do as much as I can.”
As for how she is so successful, George explains that having an interest in what you are learning is the key to keeping up in college.
Loving what you are studying makes caring about succeeding easier, and she says that because she loves what she does, she puts the extra effort in to make sure she does the best she can.
“I suggest you make sure you really care about what you’re majoring in,” George advises.
“I know if I was majoring in math I would completely fail because I’m not passionate about it.
If you’re learning about something that interests you, even if it’s hard, you’ll still enjoy it and you’ll care about enough to do your best.”