Feeling Blue? Try a Couple of These Winter Warmers

Jessica Shawcroft

It seems like we’re coming out of the cold season and moving into spring! If you’re like me, you can’t wait for warmer weather! However, I can’t help but feel that it’s wishful thinking, longing for the days where jackets and sweatshirts aren’t necessary and the evenings stay warm and welcoming!
I always feel down when winter drags on and on; I love warm weather and always need a vacation in the middle of winter! I started looking into reasons for the winter blues. One particular item came to me as a surprise! The food we eat can cause us to be in a bad mood. I guess I always knew that but I hadn’t thought much of it, until now.
We’ve all heard about comfort foods and eating because we’re bored, but what about the food we love and crave? Turns out, these can put us in a bad spell. Carbs! We all love carbs!
But, as it turns out, they don’t love us back. Carbs fuel the production of serotonin, the brain’s main feel-good neurotransmitter, which activates receptors that help control mood and appetite. Here’s the key, when there is less daylight (like during the winter), your body produces less serotonin which makes you want to eat more than usual to keep your spirits up!
Bulking up helps give your organs insulation from the cold and can also help bust your immune system. The extra layer of fat probably isn’t a goal of yours but it can help your body. It’s been said that we search out fattening foods in the winter because we’re looking for a boost to our immune system.
I hadn’t heard this, but it is interesting. Another interesting fact that I was unaware of is that when you cook food, your body burns off 10 percent of what we consume through digestion which decreases when the food is cooked. I’m guilty of this one! I love to eat sweets; the more the merrier! Fewer hours of daylight can mean that our bodies are producing a sleep-inducing chemical called melatonin, which leaves us lethargic and craving sugar! High sugar diets can increase our risk of depression because the sweets cause a blood-sugar spike that then can make us grumpy.
For a healthier fix, try eating whole-grain foods like cereal, rice, and oatmeal; they help ward off hunger. Also look for foods high in vitamin B and lycopene, which has been shown to help fight depression. Search for foods that contain omega-3, which help support brain-cell function and positive moods.
Try and chew your food thoroughly; the more times, the better! Also, try eating veggies uncooked; it’s healthier for your body in more ways than one. Try drinking more caffeine; two to three 8-ounce cups of coffee can help us stay awake and happier!
Just try to not drink caffeine too late at night. If you’re not drinking caffeine, try vitamin B12, B9, or B6 which help convert amino acids into serotonin.