College Checkered: The Only Issue I have With Flirting

Brenda Figueroa
The Paw Print

Flirting is fun, we all do it. We love to be wanted and we adore being somebodies center of attention, nothing is wrong with that. My issue doesn’t deal with the act of flirting, my issue is with the amount of people its given to from one person and what false pretenses it can leave behind. I know this is a pretty open statement; so let me try to clarify more.
Deep down, we’re sensitive. Even the coldest of hearts, we can still feel that little sting of false hope that gets brought to our table. If you flirt with somebody and you haven’t established the, “We’re just friends, this is fun, I might flirt with somebody else in front of you but we can do that because we’re just friends” aspect, then you’ve entered the “I thought you liked me, we were flirting for weeks, you’re flirting with my best friend now, I thought we had something, you’ve hurt me” zone. This zone is where 8/10 people end up.
Sometimes it’s just an honest mistake, but there are a few people who intentionally do it. Why? To put it bluntly, they suck. They like having the attention from however many amount of admires and couldn’t give a fuck about the hearts they might potentiality break. These men and women, I have issues with. People’s emotions are a delicate thing, even with an innocent act of flirting you have to establish boundaries. At least, I would hope that you do.