ASU’s Dirty Little Column with Dr. Doitright

Dr. Doitright is not a real doctor or mental health professional. The doctor’s advice should not be taken seriously.

Dear Dr. Doitright:

My boyfriend is so insecure that it’s beginning to annoy me. Last weekend, we went to see Ernie Hudson. After the play we were suppose to visit his friends for a little “chill night.” But I was so sleepy that I told him I’d rather go back to my apartment. Please tell me why this guy got all loud saying I’m going to another guy’s apartment and blah, blah. Then when I told him it’s whatever, he acts as if I just told him I don’t care what he thinks. Heck yeah, I don’t care! He’s acting so darn immature. I thought we had some level of trust but it doesn’t seem so. Please tell me what to do.

— More Secure Than He Is

Doitright:

My dear child, it is quite normal that people who find someone they believe to be their true love always try too hard to hold on to that special someone, and often times they do not notice the damages they are infringing upon their lover. I would recommend that you show him where he is going wrong and move on from there. He may not notice that he’s doing these things to you, so it’s always best if you point it out.

Dear Dr. Doitright:
OK, so check this, can you and your significant other go on a break and then get back together on normal grounds? My best friend’s girlfriend told him they needed a break, and being the great guy that he is, he agreed. It’s been six months since that break started and they are yet to get back together. My best friend thinks they’re together, but his girlfriend is sleeping around and spending less and less time with him. I want to tell him he’s wasting his time but I don’t want to hurt him. I feel so sorry for him.

Sympathetic Best Friend

Doitright:

Your friend is in love, and he’s naive. Who would want to be on a break from a relationship for that long? In fact, who would actually want to take a break? Many argue that breaks are healthy, and many say that breaks are torturous, so there’s a grey area there. In this case, your friend needs to wake up! It’s obvious that the young lady is starting a new life while your best friend hangs to the old.  As a friend, you need to keep your friend from sinking deeper into his girlfriend’s plot. She’s finding her own happiness; he should too.