A Vision of Mystery and Wild New Expectations

Jake Hughes

A new year is upon us, and who would have thought it? All that hype about 2013 and it turned out to start just like every other year.

I’m not complaining, of course, because I’m grateful to still be buzzing around doing my own thing. But I must say I was very skeptical about the whole end of the world thing, so it didn’t come to much of a surprise waking up the morning of our end.

However, time goes on and a much needed Christmas break comes to an end. Now it’s time for another grueling semester. I have to admit I wasn’t jumping with joy to get back into the swing of things, but hey-ho, such is life, and we must go on.

So I managed to get through the first week without any real problems. I acquired all my textbooks and school equipment for cheap. I thought I would save a bit of money and rent a book from Skyo, but that turned out to be a big mistake.

My book still hasn’t come and they processed my order twice, which of course wasn’t too pleasing to a broke college student.

After waiting an hour on the phone listening to music that sounded like whales fornicating, I managed to speak to a representative who then told me I have to wait to receive the books and then send them back for a refund. What a con. This year I will not be taking any shortcuts.

But, speaking of shortcuts, who has kept their New Year’s resolution? Do people even do them anymore? I mean, it was the thing to do after indulging in all that festive spirit once upon a time.

Get in the gym, stop smoking, stop drinking — we have an obsession with wanting change and a fresh start come a new year, but I bet 90 percent of people who start a resolution don’t see it through even a month.

I guess that could be my resolution, take no shortcuts and follow my actions up with conviction. Sounds reasonable and obtainable, yet we all know by halfway through the year, this resolution is going to be a distant memory.

So why even bother? Who are we trying to kid: ourselves, or everyone else? I think both.

With that being said, I would like to wish everybody a productive and successful 2013.

Start as you mean to go on and be happy with what you have accomplished. Don’t leave any stone unturned or any story not told.

Ask every question possible and find that one answer that changes everything. Be positive and stay strong through the testing times and enjoy and bask in the happy ones. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. I would be very interested to hear everyone’s resolutions. Also, tell me if you have stuck by them. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at hughesjk@grizzles.adams.