ASU’s Dirty Little Column with Doitright and the Don

Dr. Doitright and Don Juan are  not a real doctors or mental health professionals. The doctors’ advice should  not be taken seriously.

Dear DLC, I am 26 years old and my father still treats me like a child. Recently, I brought home the guy I’m dating and I must say that was a huge mistake.
You should’ve seen how embarrassing it was to watch dad talk bad about me to my boyfriend, telling him how much we shouldn’t be dating because I’m way too young and get this, my dad was even asking my boyfriend how much money he makes.
Like really, he did. He was even telling my boyfriend about the time he caught me kissing John behind the barn when I was 6 years old and how much he’s still punishing me for it. I don’t know, he’s crazy I guess. What can I do about my crazy dad?

Dr. Doitright: Parents are very important to us, and whether we like it or not, they’ll always have a part to play in our present, past, and future lives.
Talk things through with your dad; let him know how you feel about his behavior.
Has he always been like this? If he has, it will be hard for him to change. If he hasn’t, well you can say he’s a bit frightened that his little girl that he caught kissing when she was 6 year old is doing more than just kissing now that she’s a fully grown 26 year old woman.
You can also explain to your boyfriend who your dad is, that way you won’t feel as embarrassed.
Cut your dad some slack! He’s just doing what any father would do to protect his child. You may not see it that way but that may have been his intention.
Remember, the good book says we should honor thy mother and thy father that our days may be long. Don’t cut your days short because of your dad’s attitude, instead, appreciate that he cares.

Don Juan: Think about this through your dad’s eyes’, try to imagine how it’s like to be a parent. Being overprotective may not be his best quality but I’m sure it’s one of the reasons why you love him.  It’s definitely not easy seeing your kids grow up, and it is even harder to let them.
Just be reasonable and try to compromise with him. When he sees that you are really in control of your own life then maybe he won’t act so crazy.
Give him some confidence, because to him, you will always be his little girl making out behind the barn.
I’m sure that he’ll be understanding about things and want you to grow up so you can see how it is to have kids of your own.
I’m sure you’ll be the one telling their boyfriends embarrassing stories as well.