Student Scholar: March 28

Rachel Decker

Adams State junior Kellicia Morse is well on her way to graduation, thanks to her positive attitude and unwavering commitment to school and her dreams. With an impressive GPA of 3.7 and a desire to continuously challenge herself with new and exciting things, it is no wonder Morse is so successful.

Though Morse is double majoring in Graphic Design and Business Advertising, she also has a passion for photography, a skill that has been well-used here at Adams. In fact, one of her most impressive achievements is how much her photography has improved during her time at college.

“It feels so wonderful to be driving down the road [and] see my photograph on a bulletin board that represents Adams State,” Morse expresses. “It is so awesome to see people look and talk about The A-Stater Magazine, posters, and the school’s website and say how cool some of the photographs are. It is an accomplishment to be able to say, ‘I took that!’”

Not only is Morse excelling in her classes and talents, she is also proud to say that she is able to pay through college herself. That is not something many students are capable of, and it is certainly great that she has managed it. Morse says that she is very grateful to have her family behind her, supporting her emotionally.

Morse’s positive attitude is something that has kept her going, even when times got rough. She says it is important to look at the bright side of things, even when you don’t want to. Having a good mental outlook on life and the problems it brings can be enough to fix even the most difficult of situations.

“One of my favorite quotes that I found when reading The Rocky Mountain News is ‘There is a reason that your rear view mirror is smaller than your windshield.’ This quote means that you should always keep on heading forward to try and reach your dreams and to travel. Try not to ponder about the bad things in the past, try to move forward and enjoy the beauty of the world,” says Morse.

For the past two and a half years, Morse has been a well-known and well-loved Resident Assistant here. She enjoys the creativity of the job, such as designing door decorations, bulletin boards, and programs. She likes to stay involved on campus by going to school events and keeping up with the latest developments of her friends and fellow students. Her impression on those here at Adams has not gone unnoticed, either.

“Kellicia was one of the best RAs I’ve ever had,” says one previous resident of Morse, who attributes her confidence in school to the junior. “When I was struggling with classes, she kept me inspired and pointed me in the right direction. She really helped me keep at my education, and I’m really glad I got to know her.”

After her fast-approaching graduation, Morse hopes to find a job that allows her to continue doing what she loves. Her dream job would be creating her own business that combines two of her passions: graphic design and photography. Before she is ready to open her own business, though, she would be happy to find a job that lets her travel the world and capture the cultures she encounters on film.

“You can learn a lot about the world and yourself from traveling. You can respect and appreciate more things,” Morse says.

Morse attributes her success to her dedication to education. She goes to class every day and does her assignments. She keeps herself inspired by balancing education with fun, which helps eliminate stress while keeping college exciting. One way she does this is by continuing her education outside of class by challenging herself to try new things and attempt new pursuits.

“Sure, students should go to class everyday to try and learn, but college is a whole lot more than the classroom,” Morse explains. “College is about learning about what kind of person you want to become. I think that it is very important to get involved on campus. Join a sport or a club with something that you have passion for. Or create something new because there are probably more students like you who would like to try or do the same things.”