Some Blessings and Experiences are in Disguise

Jake Hughes
The Paw Print

So, hopefully this is the first of many articles that I write for the Paw Print, but, for now this is my first.
I would like to introduce myself and give you all a little insight to who I am, where I’m from and how I got the chance to move to the states from my home town and the blessing I’ve been given on the way. In doing this I hope to get acquainted with you all. You never know, hopefully you may enjoy the article and take home a individual message, or maybe even it sparks a memory or moment where it makes you think of your own lives.
I came from a city in West London, England where I left a devoted family. I have two younger brothers and two younger sisters, making me the oldest of five. I have loving parents who have supported me every step of the way. Some of you will know how it is to be the oldest child. It’s great, stressful and pleasing all at the same time. I’ve been away from my family and siblings for over two years now, which has been a growing progress that has made me the person I am today.
I came to the states around August, 2010, when I attended a junior college in Seattle, Wash. That was possibly one of the hardest but most rewarding and satisfying thing I have done in my life to this day. I miss the birthdays of my love ones, but, I’m getting to see the world. A blessing I’m truly grateful for.
Washington, the evergreen state, is the place where I graduated with my AA degree and is the reason why I’m in Colorado today, another great place to be if you love the great outdoors. In between all of this I’ve seen a number of states all of which I’ve experienced something new.
I joined the grizzly family not too long ago in August. An experience I grasped with open arms. Not long after joining Adams State I was given the chance to do something I care about and something I want to do as part of my future, write for a paper. What can I say, the sun is shining and the weather is sweet. On top of all this I have great friends all around me.
I’m sure some of you are as lucky as me or even luckier, some may be a little less unfortunate, but still have other experiences and blessings that I don’t have or may never have. We are all lucky or blessed in different ways, some of us may not even know it, and some may take for granted the ones we do see. Someone once told me that I had won the lottery and I didn’t see it at first. But, slowly, I’ve started to see it. I’m living the dream. I’ve had some amazing experiences with great support from all around. I’m living in a beautiful and safe place where I don’t need to look over my shoulder. We are all getting a great education in a friendly environment. We have all won the lottery and we don’t even realize it.