Simple Precautions and Steps to Winterizing Your Car

Jessica Shawcroft
The Paw Print

It’s no secret, Alamosa gets cold! We have chilling weather the majority of the year, but as we’re all coming back from break, we need to remember a few things. Our vehicles may not be used to the cold and there are steps we can take to prolong our vehicle’s life, and make it more reliable.
The outside temperatures will influence the internal temperature of your engine; everyone needs to make sure to use the proper oil for the conditions. In areas where the temperature dips below freezing, like Alamosa, it’s important to use thinner-less viscous- oil. Coolant also needs to be kept in mine. It’s important, especially in cold weather, to use coolant with ethylene glycol, to help protect the engine.
The owner’s manual of your vehicle will also offer advice on what to use and how much water to add in. A couple times I’ve gone out to start my car and the battery was dead, the cold weather drains it pretty fast!
Always be looking for any cracks or breaks in the cables and make sure everything is connected correctly. The voltage should look something like this: 12.6V to 12.8V: Full Charge; 12.2V to 12.44V: Half Charge; 11.8V to 12.0V: Discharged. Also, pay attention to the manufacture date that can give you a clue to why the battery may not be functioning properly.
Something I found interesting, and important to know, is all about an emergency kit for your car. You never know what problems you might experience out on the road, or how long you may be stranded. Consider putting together a few basic items and stowing them in the trunk.
Some items to consider are flares, blankets, boots, gloves, a radio, engine oil, washer fluid, coolant, a flashlight and a spare tire. Sometimes having a spare set of clothes is a good idea; if you have to get out and change a tire, or check for possible setbacks, you’ll become cold and probably wet. The more prepared you are, the better off you and your car will be.
I’ve found it helpful to have extra washer fluid in my car, just last week I ran out of fluid and it was snowing pretty bad. I was driving back from Colorado Springs and could barely see out my window because of all the snow and ice other cars were kicking up. I had to pull over and clean off my windshield, and then I noticed I was out of wiper fluid.
It took me a while to make it to the gas station to purchase more, just so I could see when I was driving! Lesson learned. As you pay attention to what your car needs and the weather it’s exposed to, you’ll become more comfortable driving during the winter time. If the roads are bad and you’re not sure what to do, take it slow.
If people want to speed by, let them! It’s almost guaranteed you’ll drive by and pass them in a ditch!