Liverpool FC Defeats Manchester United in Rivalry Game

Steven Petrov
The Paw Print

Liverpool FC recorded a memorable triumph, with 3:0 against their all-time rivals from Manchester at “Old Trafford” on Sunday, March 16th in the 30th round of the English Premier league. Three penalties and a red card marked the 190th edition of this dramatic and intense rivalry. Liverpool’s captain, Steven Gerrard, scored the first two of the penalties in the 34th and the 48th minutes respectively, and missed the third one. Liverpool’s top goal scorer, Luis Suarez, put the third goal away in the 84th minute. The team from Merseyside was the more active and “dangerous” team throughout the first half. The first chance for Liverpool FC came in the 3rd minute, when Daniel Sturridge found himself in a goal scoring opportunity but was unable to hit the target. A couple of minutes after that, Suarez appealed for a penalty to be given in Liverpool’s favor, after two successive collisions between him, Fellaini, and Phil Jones right after that. However, the referee kept the game going. Another chance for Liverpool came in the 28th minute, when the young Liverpool’s midfielder, Joe Allen, received the ball after a rebound and shot on goal. The first penalty in the game came in the 33rd minute when Rafael Da Silva touched the ball with his hand within Manchester United’s 18-yard box. England and Liverpool’s captain, Steven Gerrard, took the penalty and opened the score 0:1! The first successful attack for the home team from Manchester happened in the last minutes of the first half when, after a shot by Wayne Rooney, Liverpool’s goalkeeper had to make a big save to keep his team’s lead.
The second half started terrible for United when, after a great pass from Jordan Hendersen to Joe Allen, United’s defender, Phil Jones, pushed Allen in the back and the youngster fell in the 18-yard box. What followed was a second penalty for Liverpool FC, which Gerrard scored again to make the score 0:2. A couple of minutes after that, United also appealed for a penalty in their favor, after the ball touched Glen Johnson’s hand, and for a foul committed by Martin Skrtel. The referee passed both of the situations and kept the game going, ignoring United’s appeals. The most controversial situation occurred in the 78th minute, when the referee was fooled by Daniel Sturridge’s simulation within the box, falling to the ground after Nemanja Vidic tried to clear the ball from his feet. Manchester United’s captain received a second yellow card and was sent off. Steven Gerrard had a chance to win the 1v1 battle against De Gea for a third time this game but ended up missing. However, only six minutes, later Liverpool managed to score the third and last goal in the game through their top goal scorer Luis Suarez.
After the end of the EPL’s biggest rivalry, Liverpool FC is currently taking  2nd place in the table with 62 points- only 4 points behind Chelsea FC, but the blues from London have 1 more game than Liverpool. Manchester United is taking the 7th position, 14 points behind Liverpool. is powered by WordPress µ | Spam prevention powered by Akismet