Homeless On the Adams State Campus

Samantha Saville
The Paw Print
For all of you who don’t know about the mess with housing let me explain it to you. Last spring when it was time to fill out paperwork for living on campus next year, the ladies in housing made everyone fill out a piece of paper for the new apartments. Not really thinking I was going to get in, I filled one out with everyone else. Much to my surprise and excitement, I did get in and the plans with my friends started!
I received a call right before school started saying that since I was one of the lucky few who got to enjoy all of the luxuries of the new apartment building, I would also get to enjoy all the luxuries of a hotel until September 1. As you can imagine, it was hard to hold in my excitement.
The new apartment building, which at one point I was excited to be moving into, was now out of my grasp. But all in all, it wasn’t the worst option. So I had to stay in a hotel for ten days. It’s only ten days right? Wrong! When September 1 rolled around people started moving into the new building, but not me. I got the joy of moving to McCurry. When I occupied the hotel my housing was free and would stay free until I moved into the Rex Apartments as discussed in my summer phone call. Now that I am on campus (not by my choice), I have to start paying. How is this fair? Here I am being moved around like the child that no one wants in a divorce, and I have to pay money for it. Two of my roommates, however, get to stay in the hotel and still be charged nothing for their inconvenience; I had to push my homework and schedule aside to move on campus in the two days that were given to me.
Now that I am living on campus against my will indeterminately because no one will give me a straight answer, I can’t even move into the McCurry apartment because who knows how much notice they will give me to move out again. I would love to just get settled in somewhere and not be homeless anymore. However, it’s not really worth getting all of my things out of storage and from my friend’s house, lug in up three flights of stairs, only to lug it back down and up three more in about a week. All of this sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me.
So for the time being, I am sitting in my temporary home hoping to be adopted and move into that penthouse of my dreams or the Rex apartments! Whichever one comes first!