College Checkered: Dear Undeclared Majors

Brenda Figueroa

I can’t say that I fully understand what it is like to be in your place. I have always known what I wanted to do, even at a young age. But I can understand what it feels like to be lost and unsure of yourself. The question of “what do you want to do with your life?”  is one of the most difficult ones to answer and having some sort of direction in life can make the search for the answer a lot easier. I can imagine that you are constantly under pressure; from yourself, a significant other, friends and family members. I can also assume that you have gotten advice from every source imaginable and well, here’s where I put my two cents in.
A little genuine advice from yours truly:
⁃ Don’t compare yourself to others. -So what if your roommate seems to have it all figured out? We all have different situations. The only person you are competing against is yourself.
⁃ Give up dwelling on the past and don’t worry too much about the future. -Right now is the only moment guaranteed to you. Use it wisely and don’t miss out on it.
⁃ Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. -The only mistake that can truly hurt you is choosing to do nothing. There are opportunities every day and if you choose the wrong one, you will learn from your mistakes.
⁃ Give up saying “I can’t”. -You are your own worst enemy. Positive and negative thinking are both contagious and it will affect the ones you surround yourself with, one way or the other. Instead of being negative, focus on the benefits and the way it can shape up your life. Use positive words in your inner dialogue and when talking to others. Always remember: when it doubt, smile.
⁃ Don’t worry about what others think of you. -Don’t let the opinion of others stand in the way of what you want to do. What they think about your decisions isn’t important. What is important is the way it makes you feel about yourself.
⁃ Don’t do the same thing over and over again. -Expand your horizons and break free of your comfort zone. There is no other better place than college to do so. Take a Zumba class, sign up for a Philosophy course, and volunteer to be a model for art students. If you want to find your passion, you have to take chances.
⁃ Don’t focus on what you don’t want to happen. -Try focusing on what you do want to happen. Once you have your focus set on it, you will work to achieve your goals.
And to end it on a super cheesy/nerdy note. Remember that “Not all who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien.