College Checkered: Dear Reader, You Are Beautiful

Brenda Figueroa
The Paw Print

You are absolutely beautiful. Everything about you is beautiful. I love the way your hair is unruly and sometimes covers your eyes. I love your smile. I adore your skin, the color it bares, and every mole and freckle that accessories it. Your laugh is contagious and despite how shy you think you are, it doesn’t hold back how much you light up any room you walk into. There will always be something about you that is memorable. You will never be invisible to me. I just wanted to write to you and tell you I hope you’re having a good evening. I know some days can get rough, spirits can get smothered, and self-esteem can dwindle away. I have those days too. But I’m here to tell you through all of that you’re still beautiful. You’re still talented, and you’re still completely amazing. You’re probably reading this right now saying to yourself, “no I’m not.” I’m here to tell you that you are. To me, you are. I can solidly say that I’m not the only one who thinks so either. I respect everything that you are. Your mind, your worth, and your imagination is beautiful. You are quality. If that takes me telling you every single day, I will. Are you smiling yet? You should be. I like your smile. Grab yourself a tea, or a coffee, sit down some time tonight, today, or tomorrow and have “you” time. Immerse yourself inside a novel or a project, or even a bath. I want you to spoil yourself. You deserve to feel that way every day, and one day, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, and maybe not next month. Some day, someone will give you that every day. And even if it doesn’t come as quickly as you want it to, it doesn’t mean you can’t feel that way on your own. I want you to remember that. You are a prize. You are worth having and you are worthy of every love imaginable. You are not unloved because you will always have me. We may not know each other, we may not have had a coffee, or went to a movie together, but I will be here for you. No matter how many times society hammers into your mind what’s beautiful, handsome, or adoring, and it makes you feel the complete opposite just know I think you’re beautiful. You are beautiful, handsome, adoring, brilliant, amazing, intelligent, witty, and talented. Smile for me. Even if it’s the hardest day of your life, I hope you remember these words in the back of your head and crack a tiny smile. Because you will realize, somebody, even if it’s a complete stranger knows you have greatness inside of you. Be brave, be hopeful, and always be kind to others. I will always miss you, even if I haven’t met you.
Your friend always,
BFG