ASU’s Dirty Little Column with Dr. Doitright

Dr. Doitright is not a doctor or mental health professional. The doctor’s advice should not be taken seriously.

Dear Dr. Doitright:

He took my innocence, or did I give it to him? I’m the kind of person that doesn’t drink, smoke or party, yet I woke up in the arms of a 25-year-old senior after deciding to explore the party scene. My friends and I thought we wouldn’t fit in with the crowd if we didn’t wear shorts showing our rear cheeks and tops with our breasts saying “hello” to any guy that came close. We also thought of trying our first drink together, as twenty two year olds.

But that’s all I can remember; our entrance, tasting the alcohol, and grinding to a popular Trey Songz. So how’d I end up in this guy’s bed? He told me I was so into him that I cleaned his pipe in the bathroom at the party and after that I gave him a strong command to take me home with him. Never in my wildest dreams would I do such a thing! I’m shocked but I’m more embarrassed. It’s been two months and he’s still trying to talk to me but how we met is nothing I want to remember.

— Don’t Want to Know

DoitRight:

You made a mistake, so what? I’ve seen many young, innocent girls like you fall to the big bad alcohol, and I’ve seen more of them pick themselves up much faster than they fell.

You just need to learn from what happened. Part of the fault is definitely in the senior who as you said, “took your innocence”, as you could not truly give consent when drunk. So don’t beat yourself up. God knows we all fall short sometimes but it’s through Him that we get the most strength. Have faith my child, forgive yourself, and move forward in His name.

Dear Dr. Doitright:

I can’t help myself; I’m a flirt. My friends are tired of it, but I never get tired of the attention I get from the studs on campus. I try my best to keep up with the latest fashion. When I go to parties, oh geez, that’s where it goes down. I often stand in corner, teasing the guys across the room. It’s funny how they all don’t notice the attention I am giving them all. I bet a woman would pick up on that!

Anyway, my thing is this; all I do is flirt, but now I’m being called all the nasty female names in the book. It all started when I flirted with a guy whom I think is the most popular guy on campus. This guy is so well known that everyone acknowledges him when he enters a room. To make a long story short, we’ve been texting back and forth for the last six weeks but things have gotten out of hand. He is not dumb as the rest, so he takes notice of the guys I am flirting with. But remember, I didn’t mention we were dating, so why is he acting up?

— Infamous Flirt

Dr. DoitRight:

You’ve been playing and winning the game for so long that now that when it catches up to you, you go into danger mode. What you need to do is stop all this flirting and settle with one guy who makes you happy. If you’re familiar with the Bible, you know that your flirty behaviors are not pleasing to the Creator. It will be hard for you to turn from your ways but you need to try.