Student Scholar: October 18

Rachel Decker
The Paw Print

Marcus Shawcroft is a successful sophomore on the fast track to an astounding graduation. Having worked hard all his life, Shawcroft is not about to give up yet.
At the moment, he keeps up a steady 3.0 GPA and is majoring in accounting.
After graduating from Adams and getting his bachelors, Shawcroft hopes to continue on and obtain a masters degree in tax accounting to earn his CPA.
Throughout high school, Shawcroft got past the difficult obstacles and managed to graduate in the top 20 of his class, with a 3.8 GPA.
With his score of 28 on his ACT, it is clear to see why he considers graduating high school as his greatest accomplishments.
“It was hard, yeah, but the end result was worth it,” he says.
“I’m glad I didn’t give in under the pressures, and I walked away successful and proud of myself.”
His goal in high school was to be accepted to Brigham Young University in Utah, which Shawcroft is honored to say he achieved.
“I was accepted, and that feeling of accomplishment was great. It made everything worthwhile.
It’s considered a hard school to get in to, and I did it. Whenever I have problems in school or doubt myself, I remind myself that I can be successful, and it helps me keep going.”
Shawcroft chose to attend Adams State over Brigham Young, and so far he has had a good experience here.
Having lived in Alamosa for 14 years, he is used to the environment, and it makes school more enjoyable.
Since he lives at home instead of on campus, he is not involved with many activities with the school, but he is always out supporting the sports teams.
Shawcroft is also involved a lot with church activities, and he participates in the evens that his church puts on for college students.
“Church is a big part of my life, and I think it’s great that they do things for college kids,” he says.
After graduation, Shawcroft is looking forward to beginning the path towards his tax degree.
He says that if he does not get his masters, he will take the CPA test instead and find a job as an accountant at one of the local accounting firms.
His dream job would be to work as an accountant for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
“I belong to that church and I know a few people who work for them in different departments. They seem like they are a good employer. They believe what I believe, and it seems like an enjoyable environment to work in.”
Success is not an easy thing to achieve, and Shawcroft agrees.
He says the key to his success has been utilizing his resources and keeping on top of his work.
His teachers in high school were a big help, and the effort they made to reach out to him and connect has helped him to not be afraid to reach out and ask for help when he needs it.
He also says that many classes he has taken have helped him get to where he is today.
“I took a class with Professor Eva Brown last year. She taught us how to effectively study and pay attention in class, and the things she taught me have been essential in my studies since.”
Shawcroft says the most important thing to remember for those wanting to be successful is that they should never be afraid to ask for help. There are many resources for students on campus, and those resources are there for a reason.
“Go to class,” Shawcroft advises. “It will help you with your homework and other assignments. Be sure to always give a hundred percent on every project you do, because your hard work will always pay off in the end.”