Student Scholar: December 6

Rachel Decker

Student Scholar of the Week, Eric Wagner, is a dedicated member of the life at Adams State, and he is hard at work on graduating and furthering his education. Majoring in Molecular Biology with a focus in pre-med, Wagner is aiming to make the best of his life by doing what he loves.

With an impressive 3.5 grade point average and a great class attendance, Wagner sets forth with plans to obtain his Ph.D. so he can begin to give back to his community.

So far in life, Wagner says that his greatest accomplishment is being the first in his family to graduate college and further his education.

“It’s something that didn’t seem possible at the time, but now that I’m doing it and working hard to finishing it, it’s something I’m glad I went after,” Wagner says. “I’m really self-motivated, and I don’t want to let myself down. I give my best each day, and I walk away feeling satisfied and proud of what I have accomplished.”

Wagner is a football player here at Adams, though he is currently on leave due to an injury he received.

While he is not playing football, Wagner spends much of his time with the Paranormal Discovery Club, a club that focuses on investigating paranormal claims around campus.

“The Paranormal club is really awesome,” Wagner says. “It’s a whole new scene when you’re investigating, and you really have to be on your toes. It gives you a new perspective about the things you thought you knew.”

“Eric is definitely a valued member,” says the Paranormal Club president. “He’s a huge asset during investigations. He keeps a level head, and he looks out for the other members when things get intense. I know that I can count on him, and we’re lucky to have him with us.”

After graduating, Wagner plans on attending medical school up in Denver and following through with a residency focusing in psychiatry. Eventually, he has dreams of becoming licensed and having his own family practice. With enough dedication and determination, Wagner knows this is a possible goal that he will achieve.

Commitment is the key to success, according to Wagner. Putting in the time to get the results wanted is a major component to achieving your goals, and having self-confidence is another helpful thing to remember.

He advises that students learn how to balance their social life and school life, and make sure not to prioritize any one thing over the other. He says not to lose focus on where you want to end up, and as long as you keep working hard, you will be rewarded in the end.

“You really can do anything you set your mind to,” Wagner encourages.

“College seems like a long, hard road to wander down, but you just need to get proactive. It’s essential that you use all of the resources, and stay on top of things as best as you can. Don’t forget that you always have people around that care for you and want to see you succeed.”