Scholar of the Week: November 1

Rachel Decker

Adams State Student Scholar of the week Becca Paez is a hardworking sophomore on her way to becoming a child counselor, and she is on the fast track to success in her third semester of college.
Nineteen year old Paez is a psychology major with an emphasis on child psychology. She is working towards graduation so that she will be able to attend Grad school and get her license to mentor children.
“Helping people is something I do really well, and I love working with children, so I figured I would put the two together, and so far I’m loving it,” Paez says.
While at Adams State, Paez spends most of her time in choir. She has a passion for singing, and it is something she looks forward to doing every day.
“The choir here is great,” Paez says adamantly. “I love singing with all the other talented people here, and they’re helping me try new things and unlock all of my potential. I don’t know where I would be without them.”
Much of Paez’s time is devoted to the Paranormal Discovery Club, a club that she helped create last year and is now the vice president of. The Paranormal Discovery Club is dedicated to investigating ghost stories and paranormal claims that are given to them, and Paez loves what she does.
“The Paranormal Discovery Club is like a family,” Paez says. “We’re all really close because we came together to create something that we love doing. I love working with the other members and discovering things I never could have dreamed about.”
After her college career, Paez has plans to travel to both Italy and Greece. She has always been fascinated with the Greek and Italian cultures, and she looks forward to discovering more about them.
“I love the cultures, both modern and ancient, so what better way to learn about them and experience them than by going there? It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, and I’m excited that I’m getting closer to doing it.”
After her world travels, Paez has plans to find a job as a child counselor, and knows that as long as she is doing something she loves, she will not have many dull moments in her life.
“I’ll be doing something I love, something I’m passionate about,” she says. “There really isn’t a better way to spend your life, and I can’t think of a better way to live.”
One thing that Paez says helps her stay focused in school is the discipline she has earned from her black belt. After working hard for a long time, she finally earned it and has been the holder of it for three years now. It helps her stay focused and gives her the motivation she needs to work hard. \
“Something I suggest to other students is that you shouldn’t give up just because something seems hard,” Paez says. “As long as you keep working at something, even the difficult times won’t seem as bad. Just don’t give up and don’t let the hard times push you away from doing what you set out to do. There is a reason you wanted to do it in the first place, so never forget that.”