Make-up Your Mind: Flawless Foundation

Irma Sandoval
The Paw Print

Every woman wants to have a flawless face, but only the lucky few have a naturally flawless face. However it’s easy to create the flawless face illusion with make up! Small pores, even skin tones, and dewy skin is all achievable with the greatness that is make up. Many women do not know how to properly use the make up to create this look. Oh, you want me to stop blabbing and tell you already? Okay, okay, let’s get to it.
To start, you will need to have damn near perfect skin already; oh it’s not an option? No worries, that is why there is this wonderful thing called primer! Believe it or not they make products that can hide your big pores, and protect your breakouts from further damage caused by makeup. Primers range from drug store to high end, but if you live in Alamosa, and if you are reading this you probably do, I would recommend the Cover Girl Simply Ageless primer ($13.98) it seems expensive, but trust me it is well worth it! Start by spreading a pea sized amount all over your face, leaving no spot un-primed. This will give you the illusion of pore-less, perfect skin, which will help the foundation look better later in the process.
Next, pick a foundation that you like most. I recommend a heavy cover foundation if you have troubled skin with a lot of breakouts, and a light coverage foundation if you have less troubled skin with few breakouts. My favorite heavy coverage foundation is the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup ($9.97). This offers full coverage without feeling too heavy on the skin. My favorite light coverage foundation would be the Maybelline Fit Me Foundation, this is the foundation I use on an everyday basis and am in love with! This foundation offers a light coverage that evens out the skin tone and you really can’t even notice the foundation on your skin! However, if you have a foundation you would like to use, far be it from me to stop you. Keep in mind that this is the step that will determine the finish your skin will have, so if you want a dewy finish, or a matte finish, choose your foundation accordingly! TIP: If you have oily skin, stay away from dewy finishes as they can put a spot light on your oily areas; likewise, if you have dry skin, matte finishes can highlight your dry skin!
Next, we are going to conceal our not so pretty problem areas. I  like to apply my foundation first to avoid a cakey look on my face, but you can apply in which ever order you like. So let’s talk about what problem areas are; problems areas are any blemishes that are not the same color as you’re skin tone. This can includes redness, acne marks, moles (if you want to cover them,) and of course, pimples. I really like to use a heavy concealer because it will last all day and take very little to hide my blemishes. My favorite this month has been the Hard Candy Glamouflauge Heavy Duty Concealer; this stuff is made of miracles I swear! So conceal all the areas you are having problems with including pimples, under eyes, and the corners of your nose. Really quickly, let’s go over how to conceal a pimple, because I have seen many girls try and fail at this game. Place a fair amount of concealer on the pimple, after foundation and primer of course, make sure that the concealer is around the pimples as well. Now blend out the concealer around the blemish. Do not blend the concealer on the actual pimple, this will only make the pimple show again, and thus you have wasted your time! Also remember that concealer can not flatten your pimples, only cover the color, so it may still be slightly visible, but probably only to you.
Next we are going to use a setting powder. You don’t know what a setting powder is? Well that’s okay, that is why you read this column right? A setting powder is a powder that is used to set all the liquid products in place so they won’t melt off your face as the day goes on. Simple enough right? Setting powder is not a special powder, it is just normal powder foundation applied lighter then when used on it’s own. You can also use a translucent powder, which doesn’t have any color, to set the makeup. I am currently using, and loving, the Revlon PhotoReady Powder in Translucent ($11.97,) but sometimes I will mix it up with the Rimmel London Stay Matte Powder. Using a very light hand, apply the powder all over your face, concentrating on the areas where you applied your concealer. Finish off the look by adding your favorite blush, bronzer, eye makeup, and eye shadow.
Follow these tips and I promise your skin will look incredible. If you don’t get at least two compliments on your makeup, then people must be blind! Don’t forget to check out my You Tube channel for more tips at www.youtube.com/DangIrms. If you have any questions or comments, email me at sandovali@grizzlies.adams.edu. My next article will come out in two weeks, be sure to look for it! P.S-Thanks for reading!