Movie Reviews: Some Less than Stellar Scary Movies

Courtesy Photo: Sony Pictures

Raptor and Slacker

Raptor and Slacker love movies.  They REALLY love movies!  And we have decided to share some of our movie thoughts with you.  Sometimes we will watch new movies in theaters or on DVD, and sometimes we will watch some of our old favorites that we want to share with the world.  If you have any suggestions for movies to review, please email them to raptorandslacker@gmail.com.     
Because it is October and Halloween is coming soon, we are reviewing scary movies this month.  This week, we chose to look at really bad scary movies.  You know, the ones that just plain suck.  Here are reviews for “Prom Night” and “Sorority Row”.
Prom Night (2008)
“Prom Night” follows the story of Donna (Brittany Snow, “John Tucker Must Die”), a high school girl who watched as her family was brutally murdered by a crazy stalker, Richard Fenton (Jonathon Schaech, “Quarantine”).  Richard had been a student at Donna’s school and became obsessed with her.  Three years later, Richard escapes from prison and returns to finish the job with Donna.  The majority of the movie takes place on the night of Donna’s senior prom in an upscale hotel.  Donna and her friends get ready for the exciting night and plan to make some exciting memories. However, Richard also checks into the hotel and starts watching Donna’s every move.  In the meantime, local detectives are notified of Richard’s escape and they begin hunting down the killer.  Donna and her friends have no idea what is happening, but they begin to disappear.  Richard tries everything he can to get to Donna and he’s not afraid to kill anyone who gets in his way.
“Prom Night” was directed by Nelson McCormick, who also directed the horror movie “The Stepfather” and a number of TV shows such as “Criminal Minds” and “The Closer”.  It was written by J.S. Cardone, writer of “The Covenant”.
Raptor:  I was kind of excited to see this movie.  When it originally came out, I saw a lot of reviews saying how stupid it was, but I didn’t see the movie then.  When we decided to watch it, I wanted to see if it was really as bad as the reviews had said it would be.  I wasn’t disappointed with the reviews.  Overall, the movie had many laughable moments.  There were several times when something was supposed to pop out and scare you, but it was always expected.  I thought the movie was completely predictable.  Despite all of this, I did enjoy the movie as something fun.  I would not suggest watching this if you want to be scared.  Overall rating: 3 out of 10.
Slacker:  Like I said last week, I am a wimp with horror movies. This one made me laugh. This movie was one of those movies that tries to make something everybody does scary. Making prom become the horror night has been done over and over again. It’s not creepy anymore, it’s lame. I could not view this as a horror movie. Yes, people were murdered, there was a creepy stalker and “jump out of the shadows” scenes but it was not scary. If you want to scare a 10 year old than this would be good, but if you want to have your boyfriend or girlfriend cuddle up to you, this is not the movie. I give this movie 3 out of 10.
Sorority Row (2009)
“Sorority Row” is about a group of sorority sisters who make a big mistake.  The main sisters in the movie are Jessica (Leah Pipes), Cassidy (Briana Evigan), Ellie (Rumer Willis) Claire (Jamie Chung) and Chugs (Margo Harshman).  These five, along with one other sister, Megan (Audrina Patridge) decide to pull a prank on Garrett (Matt O’Leary), who is both Chugs’ brother and Megan’s cheating boyfriend.  They give Garrett some pills and tell him they are ruffies to use on Megan.  The sisters than pretend that Megan is dead and they go out to an old mine to dumb her body.  However, once they get out there, Garrett freaks out and actually kills Megan.  They decide to drop her body down the mineshaft anyway and make a promise not to tell anyone.  Eight months later, the girls graduate from college.  On the night of graduation, they have a big party in their sorority house and there seems to be an uninvited guest there.  Someone in a hooded graduation robe starts sending the girls reminders about what they did through text messages and slowly begins killing the girls.
This movie was directed by Stewart Hendler, who actually has not directed much else.  The movie was written by Josh Stolberg (“Good Luck Chuck”) and Pete Goldfinger (“Piranha”).
Raptor:  I saw this movie when it first came out in theaters and I laughed through most of it.  I thought that the plot seemed unlikely and kind of ridiculous.  And the scares were all predictable.  I will give the movie some credit and say that there were some pretty good twists in the story and the ending was completely unexpected.  However, this is not always such a good thing.  I think that an unexpected twist in a movie needs to have some basis to make it believable and this ending really didn’t have much to hold it up.  This movie did have the best death scene I have ever seen in a scary movie and I have to give some praise for that.  I would say that this movie was more funny than scary, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was supposed to be a “comedy-horror” movie and not just a horror movie.  Overall rating: 4 out of 10.
Slacker:  This movie made me laugh too. I have to say the way some of these deaths happened were amazing. This movie had the best death I have ever seen. There was not really big twists in this movie expect for who the killer is. Watch carefully! If you want to see girls in high heels, lingerie, and skimpy clothes then this would be good for you. If you want to get scared, this is not the movie. It has the creepy music, the psycho killer and the ending you think “really” it just does not have the thrill of a real horror. I would give this movie 5 out of 10 because of the awesome killings.