Class Attendance

Ashley Grover

Adams State could be famous for its strict policies on attendance and punctuality.

But what does a strict enforcement of an attendance policy actually accomplish? Not much of anything. It seems ridiculous that many professors would rather you not come to their class at all than be a couple minutes late. I figure, we’re paying to take the class so you don’t really have the right to tell us that if we’re late we can’t partake. And if someone is late, is it really necessary to point them out and embarrass them? Because I’m pretty sure we could get treated badly for free rather than paying thousands of dollars for it.

I understand that it’s a difficult and long process to become a professor and that sometimes they simply need numbers for class to be beneficial. I also appreciate that they have a job to do, but I’d appreciate the same kind of consideration from them that they demand from me. I don’t throw a fit when professors cancel class, come late, or don’t grade my papers when they say they will.

I know it’s not the professor’s idea to have class at 8 a.m., but coming in at 8 a.m. doesn’t pay my rent like it does for you, professor. What pays my rent is that job on the side or hours of conditioning at soccer practice. So I apologize if you feel I’m somehow disrespecting your work by having other responsibilites due to a full schedule, but the conundrum is that I need to work to go to school and sometimes students do have better things to do.

Most importantly, if I can get an A in the class without having to attend all the classes, then the only thing that means is it’s a shame that I had to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a class that I didn’t really need, except to graduate. Heaven forbid I don’t go to “learn.” But the truth is I’ve had numerous classes where I didn’t learn anything and it wasn’t necessarily my fault.

What happens if I actually get sick?  I know I can miss two days, great, but any more than that and I’m out of luck. So do students come to class sick so they can pass due to the attendance policy? It’s a catch-22. Hopefully the flu doesn’t spread as fast as they say it does.  

My question is, when did a grade become reliant on attendance and not on the quality of the work completed? If I turn in work on time, if my test grades are high, why should I deserve to get less than an A for doing A work? I am a senior with a 3.9 G.P.A. and you’re telling me I can’t miss a class?

The ultimate message here is don’t treat us like children, because we’re not.

One response to “Class Attendance”

1. Ashley, you are entitled to your opinion but please understand that your opinion on this subject makes you look like a whining child. You are complaining about going to class? If this is an issue why not take the class online? There are many classes on campus where attendance and participation are great ways to find out if students understand the material. If you are sick you can let your professor know about this and they will take it under consideration especially during this semester. If you go to the hospital, funeral, etc. those absences can be excused with the proper channels.
    I’m sure that if you don’t go to soccer practice and show up for the game the coach should still let you play right? I mean after all you did get a scholarship to play here right? That is what is helping pay for your school right now. You also mentioned a job. Try showing up for your job late for a few weeks and see how long you keep it. Interesting that you mention that a student (you) who wants to graduate has better things to do than go to a class. One wonders about such a contradiction. You have made many question your maturity by writing such an article.