A Cassette and Ants on Mugs or Contemporary Art

Nicholas Spencer

First and foremost, I hope everyone had an eventful winter break. Mine was filled with alcohol and lost memories.

If you were fortunate enough to pass your classes or maintain your job with the institution and come back this semester, you are in store for genuinely mediocre writing.

Even if the writing isn’t amazing, however, the events being written about are of historic proportion.

Besides the events of Martin Luther King Jr. Week here at Adams State University, there is currently a superb collection of artwork on exhibit.

A collection of eleven ceramic artists are displaying two to three pieces of their work each.

The artists have hit us hard whether you recognize it or not. Our obsession with food and the way we consume it is vital to life. How many times have you gone into a local restaurant and found that food presentation has determined your experience?

The dish, platter, or glass has the power to determine your acceptance of the overall meal. The entrance of the exhibit has a binder giving each artist’s biography and resume.

The artists’ stories and accomplishments outline are impressive, and with my knowledge of ceramics from middle school, I was still amazed by the artwork exhibited. Every piece has functionality and what’s more, is for sale. To imagine some of the pieces in my kitchen just thrills me.

I’m broke so I won’t be able to afford any artwork, but to anyone who can, I’d recommend the buy.

Looking from piece to piece and comparing content is a window into each artist’s mind. Israel Davis uses skateboarding imagery, and titles the pieces, “Fly to Freedom Dreaming” and “Skateboarding is Freedom Dreaming.” With the title and imagery, I can imagine what makes him feel good.

Looking into Shawn Spangler’s “Green Teapot,” I’m not sure what to think. I recognize it is a container with a handle but it doesn’t resemble any teapot I have ever seen. The completed teapot is well put together, yet has contrasting qualities.

The design appears non-objective and well balanced, although expressive with strong contrast and vigorous lines. Whether ants are crawling on your coffee mug, or flowers sprouting into your dinner dish, the pieces shout out their message.

Special thanks to the artists for sharing their artwork.

Artists include Shawn Spangler, Israel Davis, Jeff Campana, Kristin Pavelka, Andrew Gilliatt, Lauren Karle, Megan Mitchell, Brian Dieterle, Courtney Murphy, Brian Jones, and Jenny Gawronski.

Any comments or questions feel free to contact me.