To Keely By Reuben Chavira

1. Get up and come kiss me when I walk into the room. Not because I said so, but because there will come a time in your life, where you will be so lonely it hurts. You will question what you’re worth. But I have loved you since your birth. I have watched over you. Been foolish enough to think I could help raise you. So get up and kiss this lonely fool, when I walk into a room.
2. Never be too lazy to tell me you love me. Never be too tired to hug me. Never grow up too fast and forget what time Adventure Time comes on. I will always make time to watch cartoons with you, if you promise not to get too cool for me.
3. I’m going to yell at you, and no I won’t be sorry. I would rather lose my voice, than have you lose your manners. We come from a family where steel sharpens steel, where flowers are stepped on, and caterpillars that grow into butterflies go unnoticed… but Keely, I couldn’t help but notice how beautiful your wings looked today. How perfect your smile was when I tried being upset with you. I’m sorry for yelling…
4. Don’t tell my friends that I sometimes snore, it’s embarrassing.
5. I’m amazed by your view of the world. To be a young girl, in a society run by men. How do you find time to be fascinated by books and poetry? Never let me forget how to be as inspired as you are. Keep telling me stories, even when it looks like I’m not listening… I promise; I’m listening. Sometimes the magic of words become lost to those who fail too often. So get up and kiss me when I walk into a room. Be the compass that points me toward happiness.
6. I love you.
7. I love you.
8. I still love you. When you grow up, and if you move away, never forget that I love you.
9. I’m not going to shave, so get used to my kisses that scratch your cheek. Stop growing so tall, people are going to think I’m your little brother.
10. Never forget to respect your elders. Not because they said so, but because they remind us that many have died, so that you could live. Don’t talk back to them. They are old, not dumb. They didn’t survive for so long by being stupid, so listen when they speak, and thank them for their wisdom.
11. Your family loves you. No matter what, we will always love you. Through good grades and bad grades, laughter and tears, we will love you. I promise.
12. Read this once a day. Smile once a day. Laugh once a day. Tell a story, write a poem. Hug your mom, every day. Tell her you love her. Thank her. One day you will understand what all of this means. One day you will grow up to get all the things you ever wanted, but don’t forget the things you already have. I love you Keely, you make life magical.

I just wanted you to know that.