Stephanie L. Miner 5K Run/ Walk

Kaymarie Jones

On Saturday, October 5th, Alamosa community members, Adams State students, faculty, and staff participated in the Stephanie L. Miner 8th Annual 5K Run/Walk.  Since 2003, the San Luis Valley Regional Medical Center Foundation organized the Stephanie L. Miner Walk to raise funds for the Stephanie L. Miner Imaging Center.
“I experienced breast cancer beforehand so every time I hear of a run or walk, I make sure that I am a part of it. My mother fought breast cancer for a couple of years. Her struggles and efforts instilled great strength within me. I love my mom and I love all those who have fought, and are still fighting this terrible disease,” says Derek Brown, an HPPE major at Adams State.
One year after delivering her fourth child, Stephanie discovered a lump in her breast and decided to visit her doctor. Upon her doctor’s examination, the lump was identified as breast cancer. Once diagnosed, Stephanie and her family educated themselves on the most current information to fight the fatal disease. She believed the fight against cancer was best waged through an alliance of patients, survivors and professionals. As a result, Stephanie L. Miner represents the importance of prevention, early detection, and most importantly, regular physician visits.
“Running continuously for over twenty minutes is extremely difficult for me, but when Coach Martin shared Stephanie’s story, I gladly felt the need to make the effort,” explained the Adams State freshman, Serena Canegan.
Brightly dressed in pink, there were echoes of support screeching from the front of the line all the way to the back. An elderly couple could be seen holding hands as they walked towards the bridge, making their way to the first checkpoint close to the Cattails Golf Course. Younger children ran in their favorite cartoon outfits and babies comfortably sat in their strollers as their parents ran closely behind, pushing them to the finish line. Alamosa’s middle and high school students also supported the cause. Many bankers, civil servants, and other members of the San Luis Valley community were in high spirits on Saturday.
The Stephanie L. Miner Women’s Imaging Center is one of SLVRMC’s proudest achievements. Named after a valued community member, public school teacher, wife, and mother of four who lost her four-year-long battle with breast cancer; the center serves Valley residents with high-tech medical equipment which includes Digital Mammography, upgraded Ultrasound units, a bone densitometer for bone density scans, and rooms for diagnostic radiology.
Women are encouraged to check their breasts regularly and visit their doctors frequently in order to prevent or detect breast cancer before it is too late. Whether you know a family member or friend who fought or is still fighting breast cancer, show your support by donating to breast cancer foundations across the world. You can start with the Stephanie L. Miner Women’s Imaging Center. To sponsor an event or fundraiser on Stephanie’s behalf, contact Kelly S. Gurule, Foundation Director, at 719-587-5707.