Scholar of the Week: November 17

Reggie Thompson

Making the adjustment to college as an incoming freshman can be an incredibly difficult time, so when one comes out and transitions well, from an outsider’s perspective, said student deserves a little recognition.
Freshman Mariah Pepe is a hard-working Mass Communication major whose writing talents caught hold of Professor of English Dr. Richard Baker’s attention, Baker teaches Pepe’s English 101 class.
“I always like to see how a student’s writing progresses through the semester, and [Pepe] proved that she stood above the rest of this class by declaring her independence, intelligence, and strength as a scholar,” Baker explains.  He would later add: “She is polite, studious, and sensitive to the other students in our class discussions… She is truly an asset to our college.”
This week’s scholar graduated from high school with an outstanding 4.3 grade point average, and though it is still early in Pepe’s college career, she has a nice list of accomplishments under her belt.  She was published in the Adams State College News page, The Valley Courier, is currently a member of El Parnaso, ASC’s Spanish club, and later on hopes to become active in campus ministries.
When it comes to her academics, Pepe says she wastes no time; planning out a time management schedule and sticking to it.
“Academics are my first priority,” she states firmly.  “…I don’t procrastinate and I always set aside enough time to study…  I’m only successful because I work hard and dedicate myself to getting good grades… There aren’t any tricks to doing well in school; it’s completely based off of effort.”
One particular lesson trained her to think with this mindset and that occurred in high school.  She made the decision to put off a 20-page paper until the night before its due date.  To make matters worse, she then became ill.  This, according to Pepe, was one of the worst situations in which she put herself, thus prompting her to change her approach.
Like most freshmen, this scholar is not quite sure what she would like to do after college, but she does want to keep her options open, keeping either teaching or potentially writing in consideration.
“Right now, I’m trying to see what types of jobs are available rather than limiting myself to a goal that I am already aware of.”
For this optimistic student that “always has a smile on her face,” “the opportunities are limitless…”