Overcoming that Feeling of Getting Back into School

Jessica Shawcroft

We’ve had a nice break! Sleeping in, relaxing, visiting family, whatever it was; it’s time to get back into the swing of school!
It’s that time again, to get used to homework, late night study sessions, final exams, deadlines, papers, the list goes on and on! The start of the semester is overwhelming and can make a person turn and run! I’ve found some tips to remember when starting a new school year. Hopefully we can get back into a routine quick, no one wants to fall behind as the semester’s just starting! First off, remember that everything is new! We always start off the semester with the syllabus and a long list of papers and tests due, but think back to classes from last semester; in the long run everything turned out just fine!
There are only so many hours in a day, try and manage your time from what’s most important, to what can be put off for another day. Full or part time jobs can also cause minor setbacks so be sure to plan around your busy work schedule. What I enjoy doing, is writing everything down in a planner. I can check from day to day, what I need to be doing, any papers coming up or tests I might have forgotten about. This helps me stay on track and ahead on my homework!
Another thing we can do is get involved! The campus has a lot of clubs and programs we can take advantage of, some that benefit others and some that will benefit us! If you live on campus, see if your hall or dorm has a study schedule. You can try and plan to meet with a tutor or a study group if you’re really nervous about a certain class. Or maybe you’re the type of person that worries too much and just needs to take a break every now and then. Whatever the case may be, getting involved can help a person in so many ways! For instance, volunteering your time can help you feel good and look great on your resume! If you’re new on campus, getting involved can let you meet new people and make new friends!
Each semester I set a goal for myself, I want to receive an A in every class! This can be an easy task to accomplish in some classes, but in others, it’s like pulling teeth! Try to balance your life and school appropriately. Maybe you have a job that requires most of your time, student-teaching, practicum, or even being a parent. Sometimes we have to prioritize our schedule and school just isn’t at the top. Focus on learning the material and what you need to take away from the class, be sure to take care of all assignments and stay ahead of the game. If you plan correctly, most assignments can be done before they’re due- this means no procrastinating! It also means less stress for you overall.
Just remember, the start of the semester is always overwhelming, everyone feels the same! Enjoy learning and the time you have right now, and before you know it, the semester will be over!