Make-up Your Mind: Natural Home Beauty Treatments

Irma Sandoval

At home remedies can sometimes be the best way to solve a beauty problem. Let’s face it, most of us don’t know how to pronounce the chemicals in make-up, skin cleansers, or hair products, let alone know how they are affecting our skin. That is why at home treatments using natural ingredients can be the best for our beauty regimen. We know what is in them and can identify how they are helping us. Some of my favorite home treatments use things that are probably in the pantry already anyway.

Dry skin is like the peanut to winter’s butter. Every year when winter comes around, my skin becomes dry and delicate. Aside from using my daily facial moisturizer, I use a homemade hydrating facial scrub that saves my skin. To make the scrub, mix three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, two tablespoons of organic honey (it can be regular honey as well, but organic is my personal preference), and half a cup of organic sugar. I recommend using this scrub three to four times a week if you have normal skin, and if you have sensitive skin, no more than once a week.

I am constantly receiving compliments the health of my hair. However, I dye, straighten, and curl my hair, so what is it that keeps my hair so incredibly healthy? Two things, a paraben and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, and coconut milk hair soaks. All you need is one can of coconut milk which can be purchased at City Market, my favorite brand is Chaokoh, it comes in a brown can and will say product of Thailand on the back, look in the Asian food aisle. You will also want a shower cap, so it’s a little less messy. Start with normal air-dried hair, lean over the sink and pour the milk over your head. Chances are you will only need half of the can because the milk is really thick. Focusing more on the ends than the roots, because that is where most of the damage occurs, and leave the mixture on for an hour. I recommend doing this at night so that you can rinse the coconut milk out before you go to bed, then you can wash your hair when you wake up in the morning. It is important to let some of the fats sit on your hair over night, I know this sounds gross, but I promise you will appreciate the process in the end. I usually do this process once every two to three months.

I don’t think I know a single college student who doesn’t have dark circles. We have to pick two of three choices, good grades, social life or sleep. With lack of sleep comes dark circles and puffy eyes. To reduce puffiness, place a cold spoon under your eye. The coldness of the spoon will get the blood flowing in the area, which will decrease the appearance of puffiness. Before you throw as much concealer on those dark circles, try to put a caffeinated tea bag under your eye for 20 minutes. The caffeine in the tea will help rejuvenate the skin and minimize the dark circles, of course this won’t make them disappear completely, but that is what concealer is for, right ladies?

Hopefully you are able to use these home remedies to help improve your skin and hair! For more tips, you can try googling home remedies, or you can check out my youtube channel at www.youtube.com/DangIrms, you can find hair and make up tutorials, fashion advice, and more home remedy tips like these. I would like to hear how these at home remedies worked for you or if you have any questions, or would like to see me write about something specific, don’t hesitate to email me at sandovali@grizzlies.adams.edu.