Liverpool FC Takes Down Manchester City FC 3:2

Steven Petrov
The Paw Print

The team from Merseyside won an exceptionally dramatic and equally important victory against their main rival for the English Premier League championship, Manchester City FC, and is now 7 points ahead of the “citizens” from Manchester and 2 points ahead of Chelsea FC. After winning the 3 points on Sunday, “the reds” recorded their 10th consecutive win and are now literally holding the title in their hands; with 4 more wins in the next 4 games in the EPL, Liverpool will be the champion. However, the most important game for Brendan Rodgers and his players will be the one against Chelsea FC in two weeks. This game will pretty much determine who the champion will be, because if Liverpool wins they will be 5 points ahead of Chelsea FC and if they lose, Chelsea will arrive 1 point ahead of the team from “Merseyside” in the final stages of the 2013/2014 EPL season.
Liverpool started off the game much more organized and concentrated, and by the end of the first half they were already up by 2:0, with goals from Raheem Sterling in the 6th minute and Martin Skrtel in the 26th. The first goal came after a wonderful through ball from Suarez which found Sterling in the 18-yard box where, after beating Vincent Kompany, the young Sterling placed the ball in the bottom right corner of the goal, giving Liverpool the lead. 25 minutes after the beginning of the game, “the reds” got another chance to score through Sturridge, but the forward failed to place the ball on frame and shot wide. In the 26th minute Joe Hart saved a really dangerous header by Steven Gerrard, but in the corner followed the save Liverpool managed to score for the second time through a great header by Martin Skrtel.  The rest of the first half went back and forth in goal scoring opportunities for both teams, where Minoglet made some big saves for Liverpool, keeping their 2:0 lead at half time.  The second half started in a different manner and the visitors from Manchester took the initiative and after creating a couple of good goal scoring opportunities and even scoring a goal in the 56th minute, which was rightfully canceled because the ball went out of bounce before it reached David Silva’s feet. However, just a minute later after in an absolutely identical situation Silva managed to score and give Manchester City the hope for a comeback. Only 6 minutes after that, after a cross by David Silva, Glen Johnson scored an own goal, which made the score 2:2. The game went back and forth with plenty of appeals for penalties in front of both goals, but in the 78th minute, after a really bad clearance by Vincent Kompany, the ball went straight to Philippe Coutinho who scored the winning goal for Liverpool from around 15 yards distance. is powered by WordPress µ | Spam prevention powered by Akismet