Ladies and Social Media Jealousy

Brenda Figueroa

Ladies, I know that with this headline you’re probably thinking; “there she goes, bitching about how the media utilizes Photoshop and advertisements to make us all feel insecure.” Well, you are correct about how unfairly media portrays women in our society, but today I am talking about another type of social media jealousy.
Let me just first say that it seems that we are all in a hurry when it comes to claiming our relationships in the social media aspect.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard the question: “Is it Facebook official?” -as if Facebook is the ultimate commitment factor in our lives. Why all the rush to announce to the world that you are in a relationship?  This era of social media provides accessibility for communication in our every day lives. But, personally, I believe that technology killed the old-school love story, a love letter is an instant panty droppa.
So, here is my advice for all you lovely ladies that may suffer from social media jealousy: When you’re in that phase of “talking” or full fledge dating one another, I suggest that you stay clear of their Facebook, Twitter, blog, or any other social media surface that publicly displays comments from other people. Unless you’ve gained the maturity to withstand the brewing rage inside of you when you see Debbie Maybell from Egypt commenting on your boyfriend’s Facebook picture with “;) teehee sexy” or Mami4u2nv @tweeting him, “why don’t you stop over my house sometime, sweetie xo.”
If your partner is exclusive to you, there should be nothing to worry about. He should have the respect for you to handle the situation like he’s supposed to.
If other girls are throwing their e-cooch all over him and he entertains the idea, obviously you both aren’t on the same level of commitment. Which means you need to reevaluate your situation and not go completely psychotic and messaging or tweeting or blogging about these girls needing to stop.
No matter how much you’d love to segregate your man from the easy access of other ladies’ goodie parts you’re going to have to let him be a big boy on his own. You can’t prevent other women from wanting him by constantly stating how “this is yours” to every flirty message he gets. If he’s yours, then he is yours. You’re not proving that to other people, you’re proving that to yourself out of your own insecurity. And frankly, any guy who makes you feel insecure online definitely doesn’t deserve you offline.