Hannah Does Montana, Again, and Cyrus Chaos

Jessica Shawcroft
The Paw Print

By now I’m sure everyone has heard about Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance. I hadn’t heard anything about it until recently, while listening to the radio.
I remember her as the sweet, young, and innocent Hannah Montana, given an acting job because of her dad’s fame. She dealt with her weekly dilemmas and always made the crowd laugh, hiding her secret identity as a pop singer from the world, until now. It seems Hannah Montana has let loose into a not so sweet and innocent Miley Cyrus. There has been plenty of talk about Miley and how fast her life is spiraling downward, she just can’t handle life’s ups and downs or being in the lime light.
I read an article recently, explaining Miley’s behavior as a cry for help. Her parents are divorced and she is struggling to cope with it. How many people reading this have divorced parents? Can you imagine what would happen if we all reacted this way? The world would be utter chaos.
Anyways, I think she wanted attention, and I don’t think it was all that horrendous. She is a grown woman who can make her own choices in life. As an adult, this type of dancing is normal, and people participate in it all the time. I can see why parents would be upset to have their ten year old child watching Miley shake it on stage, but why let your ten year old child listen to her music, about nonstop partying and drugs, in the first place- not all the blame goes to Miley here.
Sure she is crude and a bit obnoxious, but was her stunt really that unexpected, we have known she was going downhill for quite some time now. Parents also blamed MTV for promoting sex to fourteen year olds, which is the rating given to the show. Again, MTV isn’t known for their quality television shows that uplift families and instill worldly values. What did people expect?
If you didn’t get a chance to see the video, I suggest youtube-ing it.
The summer hit “Blurred Lines” is a duet between Miley Cyrus and Robert Thicke. While singing, she grinds up against him. The biggest reason people seem to be upset about the video and her performance is because Robin Thicke, her grinding partner, is married. People feel that she should have contained herself and left him alone. Doesn’t someone watch the performances and give them the okay before they actually record and have an audience view it? Someone must have said, “Yeah Miley, you look great and everyone’s going to love your performance” or at least Okayed her dancing, or she wouldn’t have been able to get away with it.
Many are comparing her to Brittney Spears and Madonna, I’m not sure this gets her that high on the ‘oops’ list, but she’s pretty close. While you are watching the video, see if you can spot Rihanna, her look never changes; she’s neither amused nor upset over Mileys performance. Enjoy!