A Freshman’s Perspective of Adam’s State College

Savannah Schlaufman
The Paw Print

Why did you decide on Adams State?”  This was the first question an RA asked me on August 19, my first day on campus.  At the time I didn’t have an answer.  With all the thoughts, concerns, and questions of my own buzzing in my head, I couldn’t even comprehend the question he was asking me.  After one week as a college student, however, I think I have an answer.

One word I would use to describe my first week at ASC is ironically ‘disorientation.’  Caught up in a whirlwind of classes, new faces and welcome activities, I, along with my new classmates were officially inducted into ASC.

Orientation activities were a bit chaotic, but through everything there was a definite tone of anticipation.  While now we were getting registered, we knew soon that we would be in class.  As each of us received a blue key-card, we knew that pretty soon that would open up our very own room.  And that person in front of you in the cafeteria line, could be your new best friend next semester.

College is all about new experiences, and I knew they were coming, all I could do is get through the paperwork.  The answer to my RA’s question presented itself at my breaking point.

Somehow I got lost in the shuffle.  I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what exactly was going on.  On the verge of calling it quits, I wondered into Richardson Hall with a lost look on my face.  All it took was the words, “I need some help,” for the ladies in Extended Studies to hop on the phones and find out what exactly I needed to get done.

As they were sorting through my affairs, it occurred to me.  In all the brochures I read it, and when a recruiter from Adams came to my high school, I heard it, “ASC is the school with the personal touch.”  However, sitting here, with staff members so willing to help a lost student out, I realize that this is exactly the reason why I knew I’d be okay here.

No matter how crazy things may seem, I can count on the people surrounding me. After one week, I can say with confidence that all of my professors know my name, and that fact alone gives me comfort.  After one week, I have the feeling that this whole college thing is going to go just fin

Here I am, with (approximately) 560 other students that are each as scared and excited as I am.  560 other students, that for each of their own reasons, decided to go to Adams State, and all 560 of us are on this journey together.  We’re grizzlies now.