To Fold or Not to Fold ? By Kesly Dewald

The five highest cards will win the game. I notice you have a possibility of a flush or a straight. The opposite opponent raises it by twice as much as the pot. Do I go in or do I fold? If I go in, I will be all in. I think to myself what are the chances of me getting a flush or a straight on the river card? I am not sure, but I went all this way. Go big or go home I think to myself, “I’m all in.” I hear the crowd gasp. I hear a little voice in my head telling me if nothing shows on the river than I am done for. I will lose everything, when I say everything I mean everything! There is no turning back. The dealer is a few seconds away from revealing the last card. My opponent looks at me with a smirk. It is now that I realize I screwed myself over. The cards that lay on the poker table are king of hearts, queen of spades, jack of spades, and ten of diamonds. The cards I have in my hand are eight of spades and seven of spades. Yes I know what you are thinking, why I would call with that hand. I would have folded a while back if my cards were not suited, but they were so I called. I feel my heart start to speed up. I think to myself if I have put on deodorant this morning. I did thank goodness because if not, I would feel horrible for the people sitting next to me.  Someone from the crowd yells to my opponent, “You got this Grasin.” That makes me feel even worse about my hand.  Did I make the right choice? Is Mr. Grasin bluffing me or did he have me from the start? I observe my opponent. He is wearing a nice blue polo with white khaki pants. His face is very attractive especially with his hypnotizing dark blue eyes. His right eye brow rose when I went all in yet he smirked at the same time. He then leaned back and folded his arms across his masculine chest.  I return his look with a cocky smirk. I have to play him right or he will find out that I still have nothing after the fourth card was flipped. The dealer gives us each a look and flips the last card. Both Grasin and I look at each other with a surprised face. I smile he smiles. I move he moves. It is as if he is mocking my every move. What does he have I yell in my head! There is only one hand that can possibly beat me and that is only if he has pocket royals. There is nothing left to bet. This is the last and final hand for the competition. I will either win or lose. The question is who holds the winning hand. The dealer says please show your cards. We both lay our cards on the table. Grasin and I look at each other one last time and smile.