Scholar of the Week: April 19

Rachel Decker

Freshman Lisa Tyma is only in her second semester here at Adams State, but she has already made quite a name for herself. With an impressive GPA of 3.8, Lisa is on the fast track to a great college career.
Lisa is majoring in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing and minoring in Sign Language here at Adams. She is working hard to achieve all the goals she has set for herself.
“I want to maintain straight A’s, learn what I need to, and better my writing skills,” Lisa said.
During her time at college, Lisa has taken several of her general education classes, as well as Concert Choir and Sign Language 101.
“I have always wanted to learn sign language, and when I took the class I loved it. I have considered becoming an interpreter after college. It’s just so interesting to learn how to speak without using your voice.”
One of Lisa’s biggest accomplishments so far in college was getting 100 percent on her big research paper.
“I worked hard on it, and it’s great to see your effort pay off like that. I was really proud.”
On top of her classes, Lisa is also involved in the Sign Club here at Adams, and she volunteers in the scene shop for the theatre. She helps build and paint the sets for the shows. At the moment, she is helping set up for the play A Flea in her Ear, and she will be working backstage during the show.
After graduation, Lisa plans to get a job, but she wants to mainly focus on her writing.
“My goal is to be published before I am out of college, but if I’m not I want to finish my first book and send it in for possible publication.”
Besides the idea of being a sign interpreter, Lisa would also like to work for a publishing company, but she says her overall dream job is to be an author
“Publication is more of a stepping stone to what my major goal is,” Lisa said.
Professor Aaron Abeyta had nothing but kind words to say about the young college student.
“She comes to class every day, and she’s very attentive,” he said. “From the way she acts in my class, I think it’s safe to assume she really cares about her education. She works hard to be successful, and she’ll be rewarded for her efforts. Overall, though, coming to class is what really makes someone successful. You’re paying for your education, so why would you blow it off? Lisa takes full advantage of everything Adams State has to offer.”
Lisa believes she is successful because it is important for her to do her best. She gives everything her best effort, and she will not settle for anything less. Even in classes that are not her favorite, she still gives it her best shot, and she does not give up when things get rough.
“My suggestion for other students is to find something you love and look at everything in life with that thing in mind. Hard work, studying, and assignments don’t seem as intimidating when they are helping you achieve your dreams.”