College Checkered: Sometimes I Feel Like I Am Playing Catch Up

Brenda Figueroa
The Paw Print

I have dated off and on during my college career. Now, let me explain my definition of “dating”. Dating for me is usually just either sharing a good snuggle or a meal with someone inconsistently.
This may sound a bit harsh but I am a true believer that your 20’s are your selfish years.
It’s a decade to immerse yourself in every single thing possible, to be selfish with your time, and all other the aspects of you.
This belief does not exist with most of my inner circle of friends who have been changing their last name on Facebook due to their recent marriage or packing lunches for their kids first day of school.
Whenever we get together on weekends for drinks, I hear about their married life or duties as a mother/father as I just continue sipping my wine awaiting my time to share things on my end. Never once did I feel like I ever had to be on their timeline. I can’t see myself walking down a church with a white dress dragging behind me and confirming my love with somebody who was crazy enough to ask me for a commitment. Maybe when the time comes, the feelings are strong, maybe that person will be the kick in the ass I need to get me to change my last name, or at least add on to it. But, right now, I’m not looking for my future; I’m looking for my present. I’m still in that college mindset with relationships. Where just being there the next morning is just as big as marriage.
I’m okay with my pace and I enjoy the road that I take, but sometimes when I meet those same friends for drinks on the weekend, they somehow still make me feel like I’m going the wrong way and I need to turn around to catch up.