Adams State University Mourns The Loss of Dr. Stuart Hilwig

Adams State University and the Alamosa Community mourn the loss of an influential person in our community. Dr. Stuart Hilwig was killed in a car accident on Sunday in northern New Mexico. Two of his children were in the car at the time and are being cared for at the University of New Mexico hospital. Hilwig’s wife, Dr. Stephanie Hilwig, who was not in the car, is an associate professor of sociology at ASU.  Hilwig, who was hired in 2000, was a full professor of history. He taught courses such at Development of Civilization, Latin American History, 19th Century Europe, History of Mexico, and History of Germany. Hilwig published a book in 2009 titled Italy and 1968: Youthful Unrest and Democratic Culture, and it can be purchased on Amazon. Hilwig affected many students and faculty in his twelve year period at Adams State and he will be deeply missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

The Paw Print will be doing a memorial for Dr. Hilwig in next week’s edition honoring the legacy he will leave behind at ASU and remembering how he touched so many lives. If anyone would like to write up a piece or share pictures of Dr. Hilwig to be published, please email them to savillesv@grizzlies.adams.edu by Monday, Nov. 5.

One response to “Adams State University Mourns The Loss of Dr. Stuart Hilwig”

1. Stu and I attended high school together in Emmaus, PA. I didn’t know Stu all that well, but I did see him recently at our 25th reunion. If your publication will be publicly available, can you share the link with me so I can share it with our classmates? His Facebook page has a number of stories from various people in his life, as well as the status of the health of his family. I’m sure many of his high school classmates would enjoy seeing the stories from his career.

Thanx,
    Dale