Adams State Blogs Rotating Header Image

Meet our ALP Apprentices!

All year we have been guiding your trips, on campus, possibly even in your classes. It’s about time that you know who we are!! Without any further ado, your Adams State Adventure Programs Apprentices for the 2014-2015 school year!

BDH 2014Bo Hutches

Hometown: Springfield, Colorado

Major: Physical Geography

Why I choose to stay at ASU:  Adventure Program, beautiful area, small town, amazing friends

Favorite activities:  Snowboarding, Backpacking, Ice/Rock climbing, Fly Fishing, Breakfast, Playing guitar

Favorite Animal:  Huskies and German Shepherds

Most Memorable Outdoor Experience:  Hiking through the night across the Great Sand Dunes after 2 weeks of backpacking on the ALP Expedition.

What I Plan to be When I Leave ASU:  Hopefully do some guiding, snowboard instructor, travel, become a great wood worker like Curt Howell

What I Value: Trust

meFrancesca Bush-Johnson

Hometown:  Morrison, CO

Major: Exercise Science

Why I choose to stay at ASU: I kind of like this little town and the valley that surrounds it. The educational experience you get here surpasses bigger universities in many ways.

Favorite activities: Hiking, climbing, snowboarding, playing mini golf, camping, snowshoeing, riding and training horses, playing Frisbee

Favorite Animal: The Asian Elephant. I had the opportunity to spend a month in Thailand working with the veterinary team at an elephant rehabilitation center and sanctuary — the animals stole my heart! I know over 100 facts that are unique to Asian Elephants.

Most Memorable Outdoor Experience: Being stuck in a lightning storm for 40 minutes at 1200’, just barely inside tree line with three horses. Not the best, but it was memorable!

What I Plan to be When I Leave ASU: Adventurer, sign language interpreter, Occupational Therapist

What I Value: Community

10569045_10152303777313244_3130136291032007798_nEric Learn

Hometown: Berkeley Heights, NJ

Major: Business Management

Why you choose to stay at ASU: I like the small university environment, and the San Luis Valley has an incredible amount to offer in so many different shapes and forms. I also wanted to get involved with the Adventure Program and Climbing Team.

Favorite activities: Rock Climbing!

Favorite animal: Turtles!

Most memorable outdoor experience: Kayak tour in British Columbia, it was pretty rad.

What you plan to be when you leave ASU: Hopefully own a small business.

One of your values: Honesty above all, to both yourself and others.

unnamed

Ryan Raguindin

Hometown: Sinajana, Guam

Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology

Why you choose to stay at ASU: Great science program and the outdoors!

Favorite activities: Surfing, Outrigger canoe, Snowboarding, Skiing, Ice Climbing, Running, Tubing, Hiking, Grilling

Favorite animal: Green Sea Turtle

Most memorable outdoor experience: Hiking up my first 14er and feeling on top of the world!!!

What you plan to be when you leave ASU: Emergency Room Physician

One of your values: FUN!

dkDerrick Keating

Hometown: Chapman, Kansas

Major: Sports Management

Why I choose to stay at ASU:  I really liked the idea of working with the Adventure Program. I felt welcomed both with A.S.A.P. and on campus. It’s a good fit for me.

Favorite Activities: I like rock climbing both indoors and outdoors, as well as most competitive sports (soccer, football, softball)

Favorite Animal: Some of my best friends are cats.

Most memorable outdoor experience: My most memorable outdoor experience would have to be climbing in the Garden of the Gods before having any technical experience.  I was reprimanded by a climbing guide. I don’t know what he was yelling about from across the mountain, but I made the realization that I wanted his job.

What I plan to do when I leave:  I want to get a few years of guiding experience before starting an outdoor program at a university in Washington or Oregon.

One of my values:  The trait that I find to be the most important is honesty, both with yourself and others.

imageNatalie Iwamoto

Hometown: Tulsa, OK

Major: Undecided

Why I choose to stay at ASU: I became invested in the programs that I am a part of.

Favorite Activities: Rock climbing, reading,

Favorite Animal: Mud Puppy

Most memorable outdoor experience: The ALP expedition

What I plan to be when I leave ASU: happy

Value: Kindness

photoJake Moberly

Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO

Major: Geography

Why you choose to stay at ASU: I came to Adams because of its locality, scenery, and its diverse culture! Not to mention the multitude of options for outdoor recreation!

Favorite activities: Hiking, camping, photography

Favorite animal: My favorite animals are the Wolf, the Elk and the Moose

Most memorable outdoor experience:  The next one!

What you plan to be when you leave ASU: I plan to be a mountain guide, but any job that I don’t have to sit in an office all day will do!

One of your values: Family above all.

IMG_2253Seth Clock

Hometown: Kansas City, MO

Major: Physical Geography

Why you choose to stay at ASU: involvement in the Adventure Program, the mountains, the incredible rock climbing within 45 minutes, the people in this community

Favorite activities: Rock climbing, mountain biking, snowshoeing, backcountry travel, ceramics, adventures with my wife!

Favorite animal: snow leopard they spend all their time high in the mountains and are known for being ghosts

Most memorable outdoor experience: every time I am outdoors it is memorable.

What you plan to be when you leave ASU: when I leave ASU I plan to be a traveler and a bit of a dirtbag

One of your values: I value the pursuit of adventure and whatever that looks like in any persons life, whether it is in the outdoors climbing, biking or generally getting after it or learning to make new art or music or pursuing a new job.

izIzzy Smith:

Hometown: Clovis, NM

Major: Nursing

Why I choose to stay at ASU:  I choose to stay at Adams State because it feels like home. I love the adventure that Adams State offers and the encouragement that I receive to go outside and create adventures of my own.

My most memorable outdoor experience: It has been the experience when I can look down from the top of a mountain and realize that I am exactly where I am supposed to be and that life is better than I could have ever imagined.

What I plan to be when I leave ASU: I plan on being a trauma care nurse at a hospital somewhere in Colorado, hopefully really close to the mountains.

One of my values: I value trust, when I can truly trust someone and know that they have my best interest in mind that is when I truly feel comfortable and I have a deep desire for people to feel the same way about me.

zacZach Potter

Hometown: Crestone, Colorado

Major: Chemistry

Why I choose to stay at ASU: Adam State University has a good chemistry program and I really appreciate the culture of the Adams State Adventure Program.

Favorite activities: I enjoy snowboarding, riding snowmobiles, ice climbing, outdoor climbing and really any adventure that leads me to explore that numerous out door experiences.

Favorite animal: Definitely a dog person who will also enjoy the company of a cat.

Most memorable out door experience: During a two week expedition, which I took as part of the Adventure leadership Program, I hiked over the Great Sand Dunes at night under the light of the full moon. I won’t forget trudging across the wave of seemingly endless sand dunes.

What I plan to be when I leave ASU: After graduating Adam State University I intend to attend graduate school and most likely become a lab technician.

One of my values: I value a person with a strong work ethic that resilient and persistent.

jacksonJackson Sayler

Hometown: Evergreen, CO

Major: Interdisciplinary

Why I choose to stay at ASU: The ALP and to run fast, and all my friends, duh.

Favorite activities: Running, climbing, exploring

Favorite animal: Narwhal

Most memorable outdoor experience: exploring the jungles of my home land

What I plan to be when I leave ASU: Rad.

One of my values: Honesty. Also, running.