Makeup Your Mind: Tips for Long Hair

Irma Sandoval

I don’t know about you, but when ever I see a woman with long hair I want to know her secrets! How did she get her hair so long and how can I make mine grow faster?!
During my process of letting my hair grow, I have come across a few tips and tricks that I think will help you grow longer, healthier hair. I chose the three that I felt were most important and really made the difference in my hair.  Even if you are not looking to have extremely long hair, these tips will make your hair healthier, help prevent split ends, and give you more shine.
I rarely use heating tools on my hair, things like your hair curler and flat iron will mean death for the ends of your hair. On the occasion that I use a heated tool, I ALWAYS use  heat protectant spray. Heat protectant sprays can be found anywhere these days, I purchased mine from Walmart. I know Tresemme, Got2Be, and Tigi Bed Head all make heat protectant sprays, it all depends on your preference.  After making sure the spray has completely dried through my hair, I will use the tool on the lowest setting possible, to ensure that I am not doing any unnecessary damage.
My next biggest tip is to get a good leave in conditioner. Originally, I bought a leave in conditioner to repair my split ends (which is impossible to do) and now I swear by using a leave in conditioner. Leave in conditioner helps gives your hair moisture throughout the day, which reduces frizz, and keeps split ends from forming. Leave in conditioner also gives your hair extra bounce and extra shine and helps extend the life of color treated hair. The only leave in conditioner I have tried is the Nourishing Leave In Cream by Macadamia Natural Oil. This conditioner is a little on the pricey side, but well worth the money. A 10 oz bottle will run you 28 dollars, but will last for around 8 months with everyday use. Since I have never tried another leave in conditioner, I can not recommend one that you can find at a drugstore, but you can always try looking it up on google or youtube; the internet will always be your friend with reviews!
My final tip is to never brush your hair when it is wet, use a wide tooth comb instead. The bristles on a brush are rough and damaging on hair, especially when the hair is wait and tangled. The bristles will tear your hair, causing split ends. A wide tooth comb is gentle and will detangle your hair just as well. Remember when brushing your hair to start at the bottom of the hair and work your way up, this will create less tangles and be less damaging to your hair.
If you ware trying to grow your hair out, I recommend trying vitamin E pills, they help your hair grow and also make your skin look fantastic as an added bonus. So that’s it! These small changes in your daily routine will improve the health of your hair and help it grow! Let me know if these tips work for you, and I will be back next week with more helpful tips!