Bonnstetter Recieves National Fellowship Award

Kailie Hartman 

Beth Bonnstetter, a Ph.D. and mass communication professor, was recently awarded a fellowship from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation. This is the same organization that does the Emmys. Bonnstetter was searching for grants to help fund the video program when she found this amazing fellowship. She was one of twenty other lucky faculty members, selected from colleges all over the United States. Bonnstetter will be traveling to Burbank, California later this year. She will spend a week learning first-hand about the television industry. Burbank is home to some of the biggest names in television from Warner Brothers to Disney. This fellowship will be an interactive and valuable experience for Bonnstetter, who considers herself a film and television scholar. Not only will the trip benefit her but also the entire program because of the knowledge and contacts Bonstetter hopes to return with. “I’m looking forward to learning about the television industry from the people who are in it and refining my classes to share that knowledge. I also hope what I learn and who I meet will be useful to my students,” said Bonnstetter.

This fellowship is Bonnstetter’s first national recognition from a large well-known organization. In the past she has received the Hilos Summer Institute Grant. Bonnstetter has also had her research published in the Journal of Popular Film and Television, the Journal of Film and Video, the Southern Communication Journal, as well as Text and Performance Quarterly. She received her Ph.D. in communication studies from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, and has experience in radio; she worked briefly at Radio Disney. Dr. Bonnstetter is now is the advisor for KASF-FM. Bonnstetter has been at Adams State since 2008.