ASU Hard at Work on Upcoming Musical

Since October, current theatre majors,  Adams State University music alumna, and Dr. Paul Newman have been memorizing lines, perfecting music, creating costumes, designing sets and lights, and anticipating passing along the excitement of the show to audiences.
Adams State Theatre’s Musical Production, “Sleeping Beauty,” opens in time for the holiday season. Tickets go on sale at 8 a.m. Friday, November 22.
The cast includes seniors through freshmen and  Kacia Schmidt, ASU class of 2013. Schmidt encourages the actors in Sleeping Beauty to reach the right notes, harmonize and stay on beat. “This is my first experience working with the Theatre Department and I am having fun,” she said. When Newman needed a music director he approached Dr. Tracy Doyle, Music Department chair, who recommended Schmidt. “I have never looked back,” Newman said. “Kacia has been wonderful.”
Senior theatre major Amanda Wade said Schmidt has a positive approach when coaching the actors. “I really appreciate Kacia’s helpful suggestions.” Wade first became involved in the theatre as Martha Cratchit in Christmas Carol. “I sat back and soaked it all in.” Her impression led her to declare theatre as her major. The next year she was cast as Maid Marian in Robin Hood. “I am doing what I love.”
Matt Wesley, a senior, also first appeared on the Adams State stage in A Christmas Carol. His presence on stage was very brief. “I have grown so much since my freshman year.” In Sleeping Beauty, Wesley plays the Spider King. “I make one heck of an impression.” His costume consists of many prosthetics and his character is “creepy and menacing.”
The character of Sleeping Beauty is played by senior Bethany Hernandez. The part is similar to her role as the Little Match Girl, the Adams State holiday production in 2010. “I play a twelve-year-old again.” While technically the lead in both productions, the characters have more passive roles. “I was terrified for Little Match Girl,” Hernandez said. “I feel more professional and relaxed for Sleeping Beauty.”
Grant Brown and Katie Miller, freshmen, both say they are excited for children to see the show. “It will be a fun show for kids,” Miller said.  Brown plays Owain, the prince who wakes Sleeping Beauty. He is “really honored” to be a part of the biggest production of the year. “I like the energy of a musical. It adds pizazz.”
Public performances of Sleeping Beauty run December 7, 8, and 15 at 2 p.m. and Dec. 7, 13, and 14 at 7:30 p.m. The La Puente Home benefit performance is December 6 and the ASU Alumni performance is the December 14 matinee.
Tickets are $10 for general public, $8 for seniors and students, $6 for children 12 and under, and free to Associated Students and Faculty with current ASU ID. The box office number is 719-587-8499.
On November 22, first priority will be given to people standing in line for tickets with telephone orders filled afterwards.