A Television Memoir: Lost Shows of Youth

Jake Hughes
The Paw Print

I have never experienced the heart break of a show I’ve been watching suddenly cancelled; however, I have had to endure a show dear to me being cancelled due to ratings and views going down over a period of time. The television show that I will be conducting my research and writing essay on will be “That 70’s Show.”
The reason being is because I watched this show religiously, along with a lot of people, and I need to know why it came to an end when it was so successful during its earliest period. The show first aired on Fox television in the late 90’s and came to an end in 2006.
“That 70’s Show” was a sitcom that was based in a fictional town in Wisconsin in the mid to late 70’s, hence the name. The show focuses on the daily lives of a group of teenagers and the challenges that come with the tag “teenager:” underage drinking, sex, and all the other accessories a normal teen goes through. There are six main characters that make up the teenage group and out of the six, only 2 were female. The show aired for 22 minutes at 8pm on Thursday on Fox.
The audience of this show was of course the characters portrayed: teenagers and young adults. Also, the show was intended for family audiences as it was oriented around a family and the relationships they have with a group of friends. Comparing this show to a successful show like “Malcolm in the Middle” there are many similarities, but there are also some differences that made “Malcolm in the Middle” so successful for a longer period of time. Both shows are of course a sitcom oriented around a family and a group of friends. Both targeted the same audience: teenagers and families.
Both shows had witty and funny scripts and story lines, yet one was more successful than the other, and that was “Malcolm in the Middle.” I think the main difference between these two shows was the initial viewer base for That 70’s was smaller than Malcolm, which slowly dwindled until the shows demise.
I’m not too sure why the show was cancelled to be honest. The acting was great, the script and story lines were believable, and it related to the audience. The show fit perfectly into the genre of a family show that contains everyday life. The schedule was at a perfect time to hit the audience it was intended for. However, according to Desert News, a possible reason for the show being cancelled was because the show had to compete with hugely popular shows like “The Simpsons” and “Malcolm in the Middle,” which already had a huge viewer base and targeted the same audience. This competition, in the end, was the death of “That 70s Show,” as the ratings started drastically declining until it was canceled in 2006.
In order for a show to be successful I believe it must contain a number of different aspects that create a watchable and enjoyable show. Initially, you need good actors; there is nothing worse than bad acting. Secondly, the show needs a good plot and a realistic script. Also, the script and plot needs to relate to the target audience otherwise the show will not attract the correct people. Once this is achieved and the show has developed a viewer base, rating is the next important aspect.
If the ratings of a show are low, then that show is in danger of being cancelled, and I agree with that.  If no one is watching the show, why air it? I think that a low rating of a show is an acceptable reason for it being cancelled. If I was that angry about my show being cancelled, I could write a snooty letter to Fox and express my disbelief that such a great show was cancelled.