Scheduled Public Shows

Summer, 2017

Zacheis Planetarium will be closed during the summer.  Free public movies will resume when classes start again the week of August 21.

Fall, 2017

Free public movies resume on Thursday, August 24. All shows are free and open to the public. Doors open 15 minutes before the first movie.

Click here for the fall semester movie schedule (pdf format):
Planetarium movie schedule Fall 2017

Movie descriptions can be found on our Movie Library page.

Fractal Explorations, an original production of Dr. Robert Astalos and Zacheis Planetarium, premiered on Saturday, Aug. 29, 2015.  It was made using only free software available to everyone on the internet.  You can read about it on our Fractal Explorations page, and you can check out a preview of the movie on YouTube:  Fractal Explorations Preview.

Fractal Explorations is currently licensed in a dozen planetariums in the U.S., and one each in England, Belgium, and India.

See our Movie Library page for movie descriptions.If you would like to be placed on an email list to receive notices of upcoming planetarium and observatory shows and events, as well as interesting things to see in the night sky, drop me an email asking to be placed on the list: rjastalos@adams.edu

12 thoughts on “Scheduled Public Shows

1. To add to my previous….

I’ve looked through various databases online of shows available for full dome presentation, but as I don’t know how/where ASU sources their movies, I thought I’d ask whether there might be any movies for the dome similar to this presentation: http://youtu.be/kkGeOWYOFoA

Also, any shows specifically on notable female scientists through the ages would be something we’d really appreciate.

• The video you pointed to is wonderful! I don’t know of any available full-dome movies like that, but I’ll keep my eyes open for one (also something like your second suggestion). I am currently working on an original full-dome movie on fractals, and I have on my list of future movie ideas something similar to your link. My idea is to include Fibonacci numbers, the Platonic solids, the fourth dimension, non-Euclidean geometry, tilings, … or maybe it will be several shorter movies. 🙂

• The planetarium in downtown Denver does a bunch of different stuff at their planetarium, it’s part of their Science museum, so you could start there.

2. Will you be showing “Two Small Pieces of Glass” or “Tales of the Maya Skies” anytime soon. I’d like to bring my grandchildren to see them. Also, will you show “Oasis in Space” again?

• The schedule you see above is a complete list of what we are currently planning on showing. It only goes through Oct. 31 as we will be purchasing new movies in October. The movies you mention will certainly be shown again, though not before Oct. 31. For your grandchildren, you might try “Astronaut 2012” on Sept.12. Also, “Stars of the Pharaohs” (Oct. 23) is for the ancient Egyptians what “Tales of the Maya Skies” is for the Mayans. Honestly, I think all our movies are very good. Pick one that sounds interesting and give it a try!

3. Boy, I’m way behind on the “Scheduled Public Shows”, aren’t I? Tonight is “Stars of the Pharaohs” at 7:00 and “Ultimate Universe” at 7:45.