The Nielson Library Atmosphere

Anthony Guerrero
Let me begin by saying I support much of the new structure and atmosphere inside our own Nielsen Library. It’s great to be able to sit down for a coffee while studying and to have information from several news sources including cable television readily available. However, I highly miss quiet study areas and am bothered by the burden of locking myself inside a cubicle on the third floor if I want to study privately and quietly. I am not alone in my concern. Students have already approached the Adams State Senate, our student government, voicing their concern about the lack of a quiet study area at Adams State College. I would have to say I am also guilty of contributing to what seems to be the new atmosphere of Carson Auditorium. I’ve used the Information Commons on the second floor for special events and my organization has blasted the television from 7-9 p.m. I can only begin to fathom the difficulty students around the area had concentrating on their studies, especially if they had a test the next day, or suffer from a learning disability and had to endure the intolerable distractions. Though, I would think, and we could probably agree, that the student body could occasionally tolerate special events at their public library.
However, the problem with the Nielsen Library is becoming much deeper and more complicated. Not only is there noise from the television and from coffee lovers, the library is now home to the Grizzly Tutoring and Learning Center, Academic Advisors, and, surprise, surprise, the third floor is being used by professors for instruction because of all the campus construction. Apparently, that is not enough, and we must continue to incorrectly define the term library. The college recently received a 3.18 million dollar Title V Grant to improve its services. One of the plans for the money is to construct a sort of “OneStop” on the first floor of our library. It would be home to the Title V Grant Director, Trio Student Support Services, STAY Program, and disability services. Ok, that’s wonderful and progressive, but where do students go to study calculus or organic chemistry, British literature or music theory, contemporary literary theory or global business strategies? Where? A cubicle on the third floor. Fit your study group in there, and bring some water, because it’s going to get cramped and clammy. Study tables on the second floor? Forget about them unless you want your transcript filled with red flags. Now, the third and first floor are also under attack. I sincerely call for students to petition we have a Metallica concert in the library.
Ok, joking aside, this is seriously beginning to be absurd. As an academic institution I believe it’s Adams State’s responsibility to provide students with a quiet learning environment in at least one building, preferably and traditionally the library. I cannot begin to fathom how Student Support Services or disability services would begin to believe this would be a better place for their offices. These students are at risk to begin with, many struggling, and moving to the noisiest place on campus will not accelerate anyone’s success or learning ability. Maybe it’s time for the library to move its location? This building is clearly no longer a library but more of a “Learning and Tutoring Center.” That’s fine, but students need a quiet study place somewhere, and also a quiet library.
I encourage everyone to be vocal about this issue. We, the consumers of Adams State College, cannot and should not be ignored just so Adams State College can continue to attract recruits based on how pretty and new everything looks. There is also supposed to be learning occurring at a college. Especially one that aspires to be a “University.” Agreed?