Hi everyone! My name is Jacque Archuleta and I am currently a senior here at Adams State College. I love it here at ASC and am so excited about all the new changes we are making. But before I tell you how great Adams is, let me tell you a little bit about myself! I grew up in Griffin, Georgia and moved to Colorado about 5 years ago. Time goes by so fast! When I moved to Craig, Colorado, I was a senior and was not too sure about where I wanted to go to college. Because I was so indecisive, I decided I would stay in Craig and attend the community college there.  While attending Colorado Northwestern Community College, I was able to do a little sight seeing (Greece, Paris, Rome), and was Student Body President for 2 years. I loved the smaller classes of a community college  but once graduation came around, I had no idea where to go next. Searching around on the internet I found Adams State, but I had no idea where the heck Alamosa was. So I looked up Alamosa from my trusty little friend,  Mapquest.com. From Craig it is about a 6 hour drive which was perfect because I knew my parents wouldn’t be bothering me every single weekend! And dropping in randomly to a dirty house. I instantly fell in love with the family feel here at ASC. Our tour guide knew everyone across campus and I honestly knew that this was where I needed to be.

So now is my second year and it’s going great! I sometimes feel like a chicken with my head cut off but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am a psychology major and the Student Body President. I work in the Office of Admissions aka Welcome Center. I love working here mostly because I am able to meet students when they come for tours and then hopefully, if all goes well, I am able to visit with them during New Student Orientation!

So this week is Homecoming. GO GRIZZLIES! On Monday, we started off with Chalk the Walk which is where the royalty come out and write their names across campus. Unfortunately it rained the next day and washed most of the names away. Tuesday we had Bingo night. Wednesday was the Medicine Show. For many clubs the Medicine Show can be rather difficult because we have to sometimes think out of the box, but each club is allowed 3-6 minutes to perform a skit and then their clubs royalty are then asked questions at the end. It’s one of the oldest traditions on campus. When we were the Indians, the theory was that laughter is the best form of medicine. And honestly after the week I have had, I definitely needed it. Of course I must throw in that I thoroughly enjoyed watching my friend, Anna, dance next to the Elvis impersonator. Yes I love Anna even though she’s a little crazy. Last night we had the bonfire which is always exciting. All I have to say is I don’t know what it is about men and fire. Somehow the two just do not seem to mix well. Tonight there are several things happening across campus but I probably will get lots of rest because tomorrow I am planning on screaming my little heart out at the game. I have to make sure those football players can hear me with their helmets on!

So now that the first blog is out of the way, I am looking forward to letting you know what is happening across campus and what it’s like to be a student here at Adams State. Please don’t be afraid to comment or ask me questions. You can find me on Facebook; I am always on there playing Farmville ;) Thanks guys and I hope y’all have a great weekend!

LET’S GO GRIZZLIES!!!